Weddings are merry occasions of union and new beginnings. For wedding planners, overseeing the wedding needs of couples can be a rewarding and lucrative career. However, before one can become a wedding planner, there are some essential steps to take. These can help ensure more clients and better reputation as a wedding planner. Ultimately, following these steps can help one reach success in the field of wedding planning:
1) Finish high school – Complete your GED or General Education Development requirements. You would at least need to finish high school before becoming a wedding planner.
2) Further your education – Although you do not necessarily have to be a college graduate to become a wedding planner, furthering your education can help attract more clients since you have the background about the industry. When you decide to further your education, good choices for college courses to get you in the wedding planning industry would be Communications, Public Relations, Marketing, or perhaps Hospitality Management. Another option for you would be to get either a bachelor’s or even just an associate degree in events planning.
3) Get certification – This is a crucial step if you would like to be a bonafide wedding planner. There are times when individuals start their career as wedding planners by overseeing the wedding needs of friends and family. However, to be a professional, one must have certifications. This can attract more clients since you have the credibility! You can get certified by attending wedding planning schools or organizations such as the ABC or Association of Bridal Consultants, or perhaps the ACPWC or the Association for Certified Professional Wedding Consultants. Being exposed to the field can open you to more opportunities after being certified.
4) Build a network of resources and manpower – Before the final step of being a wedding planner, you ought to build a network of resources. This means finding more than one florist, caterer, lights and sounds providers, photographers and videographers, venues, and people to help you carry out the many tasks that come along with being a wedding planner. Being able to build a network of individuals who can help you come up with the perfect wedding can help make things much more efficient compared to just finding them when you already have a client. Having more than one provider of services can help you give your clients more options when choosing whose style and services they may prefer. On the other hand, you can also just have a constant set of individuals helping you out and a permanent arrangement with them when it comes to rates and kinds of services you would expect.
5) Find clients – You’re good to go! Advertise your skills. You can do this via social media, creating your own website, or posting ads in wedding or lifestyle magazines. When you get your first client and succeed in pulling off your first event, you can expect referrals and nothing works best than a testimonial from a satisfied client!
When you have acquired your education, certification, and once you’ve built a network of resources, you have the necessary skills and resources to come up with the most wonderful wedding your clients have always dreamed to have!